The “I am only human” spinach toastie

Scroll naar beneden voor recept in het Nederlands

imageIf you’ve been reading this blog for awhile you know by now that I am certainly not little Miss Perfect when it comes to living the Ayurvedic lifestyle. I have dedicated many a post explaining  my personal “flexible” Ayurvedic vision. And since the Ayurvedic theory revolves all around balance I will be the first to say that it’s what you do 90% of the time in life that counts. For the other 10% falling off the bandwagon is needed so you can go and find your balance again. Otherwise what’s the point of balance right?

imageHaving said that I think even I may have crossed a line today. And I have no excuse for it other than that it was a line so worth crossing. There is no way in hell that I will be able to turn todays creation into an Ayurvedic one and I won’t even try. I even had to make a new category on the blog for this one. I called it the “I am only human”category. But I just had to have this cheesy, oozing, melted, glorious piece of crispy bread or I may have gone off and commited some other way more serious crime.

When I was a college student compared to my fellow students I was by any standard a good girl. No smoking, no drinking, no binge eating, no unconscious love making and no class skipping. However I did have one vice. I looooooooooved grilled sandwiches, or toasties as we call them in Dutch. And my keyboard did not just got stuck on the “o”. I was trying to make a point.

imageI would have grilled cheese sandwich contests with my adorable Chinese room mate Siwa and we would think up hedious (not to us!) combinations, grill those suckers up and stuff our faces as if we were Elvis reincarnations. In our book a banana, peanut butter and jelly grilled cheese sandwich was for sissy’s. We had moved way up the grilled cheese afficionado’s ladder and by our senior year were trying our hand at Chinese ginger fried minced beef or Japanese spicy tuna grilled cheese sandwiches. Well, don’t scoff! David Chang of Momufuku wouldn’t, right? Think about it. I could have been world famous by now….

imageAny way, what I am trying to get at is that when I came across this spinach and avocado grilled cheese sandwich on Pinterest my dormant Elvis was jolted back to live and I just had to have it. So I did. Ayurveda or not. And it was good. No, great. Ayurveda or not. And let’s be honest. Avocado, spinach, blue cheese and cranberries? This resurrected Elvis apparantly is a quite sophisticated one!

So if you are in need of a 10% falling off the bandwagon type of lunch, look no further. Just please promise to stay on track for the other 90% of the time, okay? I promise that I will too. Pinky swear.

imageAvocado, spinach, blue cheese grilled cheese sandwich

For one mini Elvis

Based on a recipe by Tastespotting.com

  • 2 slices of good quality sourdough bread
  • 2 slices of melting cheese, I used organic young Gouda Cheese
  • small handful of baby spinach leaves
  • 1/4 avocado in thin slices
  • 1 teaspoon dried cranberries
  • coarsely ground black pepper
  • himalaya salt
  • about 1 tablespoon of crumbled up blue cheese
  • 1 teaspoon ghee (see there is still some Ayurvedic wisdom left in me after all!)

Put a slice of cheese on both the slices of bread. Top one slice with the spinach leaves. Top the other one with the avocado, cranberries and blue cheese. Season this with the pepper and himalaya salt. Gently put one slice on top off the other to form a tall sandwich.

Heat a frying pan on the stove to medium hot. Melt the ghee in the pan. Carefully place the sandwich in the pan and fry for a minute or 2, 3 until it is golden and crispy. Press down on the sandwich with a spatula every now and again to help the cheeses to melt. Very carefully turn the sandwich around using your spatula and fry the other side until golden and crispy also.

I served mine with a salad of fresh spinach leaves, very thinly sliced red cabbage, thin slices of shallot and courgette. I dressed it with good quality balsamic vinegar, a tiny drizzle of chestnut honey (absolutely delicious!) and salt and pepper.

Nederlands recept

Voor 1 persoon

Avocado, spinazie en blauwe kaas toastie

  • 2 sneetjes zuurdesembrood
  • 2 plakken jonge Goudse kaas 
  • 1 klein handjevol baby spinazieblaadjes
  • 1/4 avocado in dunne plakjes
  • 1 theelepel gedroogde cranberries
  • 1 eetlepel verkruimelde blauwe kaas
  • himalayazout en grof gemalen zwarte peper
  • 1 theelepel ghee

Beleg de sneetjes brood met de Goudse kaas. Leg op 1 sneetje de baby spinazieblaadjes. Leg op de andere de avocadoplakjes, gedroogde cranberries en blauwe kaas. Breng op smaak met zout en peper en klap voorzichtig dicht tot een mooie hoge sandwich.

Verhit 1 theelepel ghee in een koekenpan op medium hoog vuur. Leg voorzichtig de sandwich in de pan. Bak in 2 tot 3 minuten tot de onderkant van de toastie mooi goudbruin en knapperig is. Druk tussendoor de sandwich met een spatel plat om de kaas te helpen om beter te smelten. Draai de toastie met behulp van een spatel dan voorzichtig om en bak de andere kant ook een minuut of 2 tot 3 tot mooi goudbruin.

Ik serveerde mijn toastie met een salade van spinazieblaadjes, flinterdun geraspte rode kool, courgette en sjalot. Met een dressing van eerste kwaliteit balsamico azijn, kastanjehoning en zout en peper.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s